Sunday, December 08, 2002

SURFING LIFE'S LESSONS

Having watched the movie “BLUE CRUSH,” featuring Kate Bosworth as Anne Marie , Michelle Rodriguez as Eden (there’s something in her that I really admire), Sanoe Lake as Lena and Matthew Davis as Matt Tollman (the guy from Legally Blonde that I love!), this is the result of my thought process.

Indeed life is like surfing. It may look simple and fun, but its NEVER easy. You gotta endure a lot of things. Go through rigorous training and in the end the mere fact that you got through “the pipe” (a wave that closes in on you like a pipe or barrel) makes it a sweet victory.

The past days my mind has been asking my heart, “What do you want to do?” I know that if I want to accomplish something it will be easy if I put my whole heart and mind into it. The problem is I do not what I want to do. Talk about a dilemna.

I do not understand why I am questioning my dreams and plans in life. Its like, there is no focus in what I want to do anymore. I do not wish to undergo the rigorous training. Have I given up? I just want to sit on my board and let time pass me by, from sunrise till sunset. I want to think and eventually exhaust myself in doing so, now what? I always thought that I wanted to be able to teach and make children appreciate theater arts. But now I don’t see myself there anymore. Thinking that if I find a man everything will be okay. I think have set myself up for a “wipe out” (that’s when you never get through the wave, and you crash and get eaten up by the waves). This not the solution.

There is that particular line in the movie that really hit me hard. It was between Anne Marie and Matt. Here’s my vague recall of it.

Anne Marie: Tell me what to do?
Matt: What do you want to do?
Anne Marie: I want to be able to pay my bills on the same month… I want to be able to win the Pipe Masters.
Matt: You know what to do.
Anne Marie: NO! Tell me what you want me to do?
Matt: I want you to be the same girl I met on the beach.
Anne Marie: Who was that girl?
Matt: A girl that doesn’t need a man to tell her what to do.

Wham! It just hit straight. Have I actually been waiting for a man to be able to answer that same question?

Now that got me thinking.

No, I don’t. Whatever I want to do I can very well do it. As Alystaire would say, we have the guts and everything else to be able to do whatever it is we want to do, the problem is we don’t know what it is we want to do. Having a man is not the answer. They won’t be able to do it for us anyway, only we can do it ourselves.

I don’t need a man in my life to begin surfing the waves. All I need is my spirit to get out there. And the more you seek, the more you don’t find and you end up getting frustrated. When frustration sets in, your spirit gets weak. You try every possible means of attracting a man. That makes you vulnerable to conforming to what they want, lowering you standards. Even to the point that you say, “Just any man will do!” You compromise, not knowing that, that leaves you attracting the wrong ones…which leads you to one heartache after another. Worse of all-- to bitterness.

If it’s a vision of the future that I need then that’s what I should start pursuing now. NOW is the operative term. In surfing when you don’t get the guts to paddle and try to get on the board, then you never will be able to surf and ride a good wave. Each wave will just come crashing in on you. We gotta start now. Take the risk...Feel the rush...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails